Great American Smokeout
• CSKT Tribal Health is participating in The Great American Smokeout on Thursday, November 16, 2017.
• The Great American Smokeout is an opportunity for everyone to commit to healthy, tobacco-free lives –not just for a day, but year around.
Health Impacts of Tobacco Use
• Tobacco use is the single largest preventable cause of disease and premature death in the United States.
• About half of all Americans who keep smoking will die because of the habit. Each year more than 480,000 people in the United States die from illnesses related to tobacco use. This means smoking causes about 1 out of 5 deaths in the US annually.
• Yet, 40 million American adults still smoke.
• The most important thing smokers can do to improve their health is to quit cigarettes and other forms of combustible tobacco.
Message to Smokers
• We are here to support you.
• Quitting cigarettes and other forms of combustible tobacco is the most important step you can take to improve your health.
• Tobacco is one of the strongest and most deadly addictions one can have.
• We used to encourage smokers to quit cold turkey on a single day.
• We now know that quitting is a process. It starts with a plan, often takes time and requires a lot of support.
• The American Indian Tobacco Quit Line is available to provide support, from the first steps of making a plan, to living a healthy and smoke-free life. To find out more, visit MTAmericanIndianQuitLine.com or call 1-855-372-0037.
A Healthier Alternative to a Smoke Break
• CSKT Tribal Health will provide healthy snacks on November 16, 2017, in tribal employee break rooms at the following locations:
Arlee – Arlee Tribal Health & N’Kusm
St. Ignatius – Tribal Health & ECS
Ronan – Tribal Health
Pablo – New Complex (upstairs break room), Old Complex (break room by tribal credit)
Polson – NRD (Main Street) & Tribal Health
Elmo – Tribal Health