CONFEDERATED SALISH AND KOOTENAI TRIBES
OF THE FLATHEAD NATION
PO BOX 278
PABLO MT 59855
PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT FAX: 406.675.2711
CSKT Website: csktribes.org
****V A C A N C Y A N N O U N C E M E N T****
TITLE: Professional Career Counselor
LOCATION: Kicking Horse Job Corps – Ronan, MT
SALARY: $16.98 to $19.74 per hour
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
This is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) within the definition of the CSKT Drug Testing policy. The successful applicant if not already employed by the Tribes must pass a pre-hire drug test and will be required to serve a six-month probationary period.
- Provide personal, educational, and career counseling for 16-24 year old students in a residential training center.
- Provide safe and secure environment that will allow a student to maximize potentials.
- Support enforcement of center rules by intervening and confronting inappropriate behavior exhibited by students.
- Present a positive role model including the demonstration of good work habits following the guidelines established by the Personnel Rules, Regulations, and Procedures Manual adopted by the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.
- Conduct intake interviews for new enrollees.
- Provide initial and ongoing assessment of all assigned students.
- Conduct individual counseling sessions on an as needed basis at a minimum of once per month.
- Provide Services needed to fulfill the role of maximum benefits coordinator for assigned students through coordination with the Directors of Career Technical Training and Educational Training.
- Act as a contact between the Center and parents, Outreach & Career Transitional Specialists and outside tribal, state, and federal agencies.
- Assist the Center in retrieval of students who have gone on leave.
- Facilitate and/or participate in weekly Employability Social Skills Training,
- Provide instruction in goal setting, employability skills, job search skills, and career development skills.
- Provide leadership training for students.
- Conduct group activities during Introduction to Center Life for new students.
- Develop, organize, and facilitate groups that address specific needs demonstrated by Center students.
- Conduct procedures needed for successful accomplishment of student commitment to the Kicking Horse Program.
- Provide assistance in resolving student issues and barriers that would hinder success in the program.
- Coordinate activities with Center staff to ensure effectiveness of the center’s Behavior Management System.
- Participate in scheduled Interdisciplinary Team (IDT), and Mental Health staffing, TEAP core group, and take responsibility for execution of counseling plans generated.
- Meet with Resident Counselors on a scheduled basis to assess student progress, identify problems and develop a consistent and fair approach to dealing with each student.
- Help support and facilitate activities within the Diversity Program.
- Help support, coordinate, and facilitate activities within the Introduction to Center Life Program.
- Perform duties of the Career Development Team Chairperson to meet requirements for the maximum benefits of the CDSS Program to include: Updating the student’s Personal Career Development Plan, student scheduling to meet the 45 day evaluation cycle, initiating student Career Technical Training and 10 day schedule changes, determining if student Career has acquired educational, career technical training, and social criteria for graduation. Initiating student into exit readiness for graduation. Ensure all ESP programmatic areas contribute to the ESP process for student evaluations and close out this process in CIS.
- Maintain a counseling file for each assigned student.
- Document counseling services rendered.
- Develop and distribute documentation in response to counselor referrals.
- Submit student reports and evaluations as needed for: Center Director, Review Board, Center Mental Health Consultant, Proper requests from outside agencies, TEAP and Health and Wellness Center.
- Provide counseling related assistance as needed to aid other staff functions within the Center.
- Assist Senior Counselor in developing training opportunities for Center staff.
- Participate in Job Corps required training both on and off Center.
- Contribute to maintenance and improvement of the Average Length of Stay (ALOS) of students on Center.
- Contribute to maintenance and improvement of the Weekly Termination Rate (WTR) of the Center.
- Contribute to the adjectival rating of the program.
- Contribute to the overall percentage completion rate of the Center.
- Contribute to overall placement of Center students.
- Responsible for modeling appropriate employability social skills behavior.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (AS REFLECTED ON THE TRIBAL EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION)
- Bachelor’s degree in the area of counseling and/or Human Services including 15 semester hours of instruction. Work related experience in youth counseling programs is needed OR a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study with one (1) year of experience in a similar position.
- Must possess a valid Montana State Operator’s License.
- This is a Tested Designated Position (TDP) in compliance with the Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Employee is required to pass a background investigation per PL 101-630.
- Completed Tribal employment application. (Resumes may be submitted but may not replace or supplement the official tribal application).
- Certified copies of relevant academic transcripts and training certificates.
- If you are claiming Veterans Preference, a copy of the DD214 must be submitted with the application.
- Proof of a valid driver’s license.
FAILURE TO SUBMIT ALL OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION DURING THE SCREENING PROCESS
SUBMIT ALL OF THE ABOVE TO: Tyshina Whitworth, Personnel Office, P.O. Box 278, Pablo MT 59855, telephone 406.675.2700, ext. 1043.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact: Arlene Bigby, KHJC Director @ 406.675.2700, ext. 6301.