June 1, 2021
Memo on 2021 Tribal Council Election
The deadline to submit your name for the upcoming Tribal election is ending at 4:30 p.m. today.
This election schedule began sooner this year with the candidate filing opening May 10 and closing June 1 at 4:30 p.m. Additional efforts are being made this year to encourage more people to vote in the both the primary and general election by an absentee ballot mailed to their home. By moving the primary election earlier in the year, this gives the election staff time to complete their duties. We hope these additional efforts will work to protect our community from unnecessary risks while allowing our vital systems to continue.
Any enrolled member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes may announce their candidacy for Tribal Council provided they are at least 21 years of age at the time of filing the application for candidacy and have been enrolled as a member of the Tribes for at least one year preceding the date of filing. Also,
- The candidate for each of the eight original districts named in the Constitution must have physically and continuously resided with a verifiable address or location (post office box addresses do not qualify as a physical address or location) in their district for at least one year preceding the date of the Primary Election; and
- The candidate for an ‘at large’ district seat must satisfy all other candidate requirements, provided, however, that the locale of residence within the Flathead Indian Reservation is not a limiting factor for candidacy for an ‘at large’ district seat. ‘At large’ district candidates must, however, still have resided within the boundary of the Flathead Indian Reservation for one year preceding the date of the Primary Election. In addition, candidates who choose to run for an ‘at large’ district are precluded from running in one of the eight original districts during the same election cycle.
- The candidate cannot be a named Plaintiff in any active or pending litigation against the Tribal Government or any Tribal program or Tribal entity.
- Each application for candidacy must be accompanied with:
(1) A non-refundable $150.00 filing fee; and
(2) A signed sworn affidavit attesting to the candidate’s qualifications.
Candidates will be reviewed and certified by June 15. The primary election is set for July 31 with the general election planned for December 18.
Please consider signing up for an absentee ballot for this year’s elections. The hope is that more people take advantage of this vote-from-home system, which will keep crowds much lower and offer that much more protection to our community.